We use several important channels to communicate effectively between school and home:
- Our weekly school newsletter, emailed and via app each Thursday and linked on website
- Website and Email. (The website can look quite different portrait vs landscape view)
- Facebook pages: @SHPSPearce and our closed group @Sacred Heart Parents And Carers
- 'SZapp' schoolzine app for notifications: Click here for instructions
- Many notes which require parents to sign and return are printed and sent home with your child (eldest child if one family note is sufficient)
- Orientation Days and Information Meetings
- Parent-Teacher Interviews and Academic Reports
- Learning Journeys
- Community Council Parent Forums
- Parent Information Notes (PIN) each term containing class organisation and learning plans
- See our 'What to do if...?' flowcharts below.
How can I have a say?
Our parent bodies include:
- Community Council
- Be You Action Team (formally KidsMatter)
- Freshtaste Committee
Contact the office for information about these bodies. Your child’s teacher is your first point of contact for most questions.
Helping at School
We welcome parent/carer/grandparent helpers in many ways. These may include:
- Class Parent Reps
- Classroom assistance
- Sport carnivals and gala days
- Working Bees
- Fundraising activities – such as FETE and Colour Run
Please note: Volunteers are guided by our ‘Code of Conduct’ and CE Parent Charter. Classroom Helpers are asked to sign our school Classroom Assistance Agreement 2019’. Volunteers working regularly must carry their WWVP card – visit the Access Canberra website for information.
Qkr! by Mastercard is our preferred method of payment. Qkr! allows parents and carers to make faster, more convenient payments from a secure mobile app anywhere and at any time. Click here to log in.
What do I do if......?
* I want to know what is happening this term
- At the school
- In my child’s class
* I need to update my child’s details
Email the front office
* I'm concerned about my child’s social interactions
- Refer to the website Wellbeing Page for links and information
- Responding to bullying – refer to Pastoral Care and Welfare Policy, Bullying Statement
- Arrange a quick chat with your child’s teacher
- Email your child’s teacher to make an appointment. Include a brief overview of your concerns so the teacher can prepare.
- Your child’s teacher can put you in contact with John Bourke our Student Welfare Officer, or Kate Dean our School Counsellor.
* I want to organise playdates for my child
- Approach the parents of your child’s friends directly or via a note in their bag
- The class parent rep may have a list of contacts or ideas
- Class teacher
* I want to meet other families
- Attend school gatherings such as masses and assemblies
- Help with school activities by responding to event notes
- Attend events organised by your Class Parent Reps
- Enrol your child in an activity such as Soccer or Netball with other school families
* I want to know about my child's academic progress
- Make an appointment to see the Class Teacher via email.
- Contact the Front Office and make an appointment with the Stage Coordinator.
- Contact the Front Office and make an appointment with the Assistant Principal.
* There is a family emergency
- Email the Front Office and the Class Teacher if not urgent.
- If urgent, call the Front Office.
* I want to help out at school or in the classroom
- Contact Canberra Connect to get a Working With Vulnerable Persons Card (WWVP)
- See ‘For Parents’ and ‘Helping at school’ on the school website.
- Contact your teacher directly via email.
- See notes, Newsletter and Push Notices through the Schoolzine App for one off events.
- To help in the School Canteen go to ‘Help in the Canteen’ on the school website and download the ‘Volunteer Form’
- Contact your classes Parent Representatives.
- Put your name down on the ‘Helping at school’ list at Parent Information Night.
* Who do I talk to if I have a grievance
- Go to the School Complaints and Grievances policy.
* When is...
- Library, Sport, Italian, Arts – check the Term PIN.
- Canteen Days – School Website (Canteen Page)
- Uniform Shop – School Website and Qkr
- Out of School Hours Care (YMCA) – School Website (OSHC Page)
- Choir, Chess, Gardening – School Website (Weekly Events)
- TOM, Gala Days, Book Week – School Calendar
- Music Lessons - See the Newsletter or Contact the Front Office